Monday, June 1, 2015

Georgia On My Mind!

This week I lost a colleague, friend and fellow honors teacher, Georgia Stohr to breast cancer.  She had been fighting this disease for two years and finally her body couldn't fight any longer.  No one thinks about what happens to a teacher if she is no longer there.  She died an hour before her freshmen would take her final, she died three days before her grades were due, she died two days before her students could say goodbye!  Tomorrow I and several of her fellow English teachers will go into her room and pack it up....I know what we will find.  Projects done by previous students, gum in her desk drawer for after lunch, notes she had written of things not to forget before leaving for the summer.  For you see, Georgia never thought she would stop teaching. Georgia told me the week before her death that she had plans to revamp her curriculum this summer and couldn't wait till our students got their computers at registration. I told her I was taking an online class.  We couldn't let the janitors just throw it all away.  Georgia put her heart into everything she did and her heart is still in that classroom. We will pack it up respectfully as we loved our fellow teacher and can't believe she won't be there in the fall.  Georgia taught everyday she could this semester and showed us what it meant to never stop teaching.  Though she is no longer here, she is still teaching her students and her friends how to deal with crisis and never lose hope and that is her legacy. We celebrated Georgia's life in a church Sunday with students, faculty administration and her family.  Though our hearts were broken - I will always have Georgia on my mind when we welcome a new teacher in her cleaned room and new students who heard of the teacher that never stopped teaching!

5 comments:

  1. I am so sad for you and Georgia's family, friends, and students. She sounds like the kind of teacher friend I would have loved. I am amazed by her strength and dedication. May you find strength as you clean out her room tomorrow. I am sorry for your loss and I appreciate you writing about Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. It is amazing she was able to stay so strong, and continue teaching despite her health struggles. I hope you have alot of time to reflect on your time with Georgia this summer. I am sure she will continue to motivate you next school year, and the many more years of your teaching career. I will keep you and Georgia's family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. It is amazing she was able to stay so strong, and continue teaching despite her health struggles. I hope you have alot of time to reflect on your time with Georgia this summer. I am sure she will continue to motivate you next school year, and the many more years of your teaching career. I will keep you and Georgia's family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the kind words. It has been the toughest end to a school year I have ever experienced. We spent Tuesday cleaning her room and that is something I never thought I would have to do for a colleague. She was a pretty special lady and I am going to miss teaching with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jill, this was heartbreaking. I am so sorry for you, your school, and Georgia's family. She will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete